Trailing Twelve Months (TTM) scenarios play a crucial role in financial planning and reporting, offering a dynamic view of performance over the past twelve months, and they're really easy to create in Catalyst. This tutorial guides you through the process of updating your TTM scenario to include a new set of months in Catalyst.
Trailing Twelve Months (TTM) is a financial metric that represents the cumulative performance of a metric over the past twelve months. It provides a rolling, dynamic view, making it valuable for assessing trends and patterns in financial data.
How to Update Trailing Twelve Months (TTM) to a New Period in Catalyst
If you're ready to update your TTM scenario, follow this step-by-step tutorial:
- Access Catalyst Admin Panel: Navigate to the Admin section in Catalyst to access scenario management.
- Locate TTM Scenario: Find the TTM Scenario you wish to modify.
- Edit Scenario Details:
- Click on the 'Edit' option for the TTM Scenario.
- Once in edit mode, locate the 'Description' field.
- Update Description and Base Period:
- Change the 'Description' to the desired period.
- Adjust the 'Base Period' to match the desired start month.
- Save Changes: Save the changes made to the scenario. This ensures that the TTM is updated to include the new set of months.
- Refresh your Report: Once the cube has rebuilt, which you can force via the System Status page, refresh your Excel file to see the changes.
Example: Rolling Forward to a New Period
Suppose you want to update the TTM scenario to reflect a different period. For example:
- We have a TTM set up already for July 2023. It includes twelve trailing months which include periods in the prior year, 2022. That TTM set up would look like this:
- To update this to the next period, change the month name in the description to 'August' and update the base period to 8 (e.g. August).
- Which will look like this:
Updating your TTM scenario in Catalyst provides a dynamic and accurate representation of your financial data. By following these steps, you can tailor your TTM to fit the specific periods relevant to your financial planning and reporting needs.