This article contains the following topics:
- Using Catalyst User Interface
- Using a Catalyst Export/Upload sheet in Excel
- Is data overwritten if it exists?
While working in Catalyst, you have the ability to manually add, update, or remove data from your instance. Most commonly, this occurs when creating or manipulating a plan, such as a Budget, Forecast, or TTM scenario.
Uploading from the UI
Catalyst will always allow you to make changes to your data right in the interface, but oftentimes it's more convenient to do so in Excel. For this reason, we give you the option to download a custom upload sheet, which you can then use, along with all of your preferred Excel formulas, to make big changes to your data before uploading it back into the Catalyst equation.
Uploading from Excel
Any time you see an Export/Upload tab or an Excel Options dropdown in Catalyst, you have the ability to load data into the Catalyst interface and application database by downloading/exporting an Excel Upload Template.
Export and Upload Steps:
- From the Catalyst interface look for the Export/Upload tab OR the Excel Options menu on the right.
- In that menu, select any of the Export options to extract and download the templated Excel EBM upload sheet to your computer.
- Open and edit that file.
- You can now add your data to the Excel file, but only do so in the column or columns you want to create changes or additions. Additionally, do not edit the column headers in this file.
- Once you've added your data to the sheet or made your applicable changes, simply toggle to the EBM Office Bridge tab in Excel and click Upload. This will load the data back into Catalyst. Saving the file is not required.
- Alternatively, if you're working in Catalyst and want to initiate the upload from there rather than in Excel, just click the Excel Options dropdown and select Upload.
- If the upload is a valid file, you'll receive a dialog box confirming your edits are valid, similar to the one below. Simply click the Process button to complete the action. After clicking Process you are free to close out the dialog window and resume working in Catalyst.
- Contrarily, if you attempt to load an invalid file, you'll receive a dialog box describing the error, similar the one below. If this happens, you'll need to reattempt your upload after correcting the cause of the error.
- To see your changes, back in the Catalyst interface click the Apply Filter button to refresh the page. If you don't see any changes you may need to refresh the scenario you're working on in the System Status page.
Question: If I'm uploading a record into Catalyst using a Catalyst upload sheet in Excel, and that record already exists with a value in Catalyst, what happens? Will my new upload overwrite that record or be added to it?
Answer: Your new upload will overwrite the matching record with the new value.
Note: If the record includes a Transaction Attribute the TA will be cleared and reloaded from the uploaded file.